Monday, July 12, 2010

Test results

I had mixed feelings about the HHR. It could have been due to the fact it was a smoker's car and I got a headache about 20 minutes into the test drive. It had good styling and a rear compartment that was lined in plastic for carrying various loads.


First of all it lacked power.  I felt like like I could get ran over when coming off of the exit ramp. Once it had the rpms up it was a fine and smooth ride and good braking power. Second, the controls were not up to par for me. The cruise control buttons were too small and too close together to be able to set your controls without looking at the wheel.


It was hard to see out of as well. I thought it had a lot of blind spots. I'm not sure if the windows weren't big enough or what. Another minus for me was the fact that the window on the hatch did not open separately from the gate on the back.  Another issue of mine was the short head room.  Felt a little cramped in the cockpit.


It lacked adequate room under the hood to work on anything. I'm not sure what Chevy was thinking here. Looked like the engine was stuffed in and the hood was shut.


Rick's Mods:  The HHR has an old school look to it. Like something out of the '50's. I'm thinking modern day  rat rod here. Flat black with red steel wheels and chrome wheel rings. I'd lower it a couple inches with some fatter tires.  I'd shave the door handles and install electric door locks. Of course the windows would be tinted.


Another test on Saturday was the '07 Nissan Xterra. This is one nice vehicle and would be perfect for the dirt roads and the chip and seals of Half Way. One problem. The price tag. I would have to ramp up the income to purchase one of these. They're still proud of them. I think this was in the mid 20k range. Ridiculous. Yes, nice ride, air, power everything, four wheel drive. It was drab green. The perfect color besides flat black.


There's really not anything you can say bad about a $20,000 vehicle. Except the price tag. It had a nice ride, good power and could probably go anywhere (well almost anywhere, I'd try to get it stuck just so I could). It had the take me anywhere feel to it and looks as though it could be hosed out with a power washer if need be. I would like it better if it was a base model with rubber flooring and vinyl seats. I wouldn't have to worry about it getting dirty on the inside..or outside for that matter. I have to say though, this particular model was a “look at me, I own an SUV” model. It would probably never see a dirt road and that would be a big waste. I think you should have a car that's functional if not a little old around the edges. My rating: 9 out of 10. Pros: New tires, great power, 4 wheel drive, a/c. Cons: Price tag, status quo look.
Rick's Mods: Take out the feel good stuff, put in rubber flooring and vinyl seats. Get rid of the storage rack on top, replace it with lights. Add a winch. Treat it like an SUV and not a grocery getter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment